I’ve been making burgers at home since I can remember. My current recipe is based on many other recipes, namely some by internationally-acclaimed chefs like Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsey or Karlos Arguiñano.
I just LOVE making hamburgers and enjoying them with friends and family. These babies are the juiciest you’ll ever taste. They are flavoursome, they are cheesy, they are fresh, they are simply the best burgers in the whole world.
Ingredients -makes 6-8 burgers
For the burgers
- 1,2 kilo of minced beef. Buy it of the best quality you can find. Alternatively, mince it yourself out of good quality cut of beef with at least 20% of fat content.
- Pancetta or Bacon, 150gr.
- 1/2 cup of fresh, chopped parsley
- Garlic salt, 1 tsp
- Freshly ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp
- Salt, 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder, 1/2 tsp
- Curry powder, 1/2 tsp
- Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp
- 1 fresh egg
- Bread crumbs (optional)
- Blue cheese, 1 tsp per burger (in this recipe I use mild french blue cheese)
- Cheddar cheese, 2 slices per burger or enough to cover the burger nicely (in this recipe I used 2-year-aged cheddar, it’s really delicious)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Burger buns (in this recipe I used whole wheat buns)
For the garnish
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- Dijon Mustard, 3 tbsp
- Ketchup, 3 tbsp
- Pickles to taste
- 3 tomatoes
- 6 red onions
- Honey-mustard sauce or 5 tbsp of both honey and dijon mustard mixed well
Mix the beef and bacon thoroughly.
Mix in the finely chopped parsley, garlic salt, salt, pepper, cumin, curry, Worcestershire sauce and egg. Massage the whole thing until all the ingredients are nicely mixed together.
I try not to add breadcrumbs but sometimes there is too much humidity or the egg is too big or even the meat had moisture and some bread is needed. The trick with the bread crumbs is to add only enough so that the mix of meat doesn’t stick to your hands while working it. Not a crumb more.
Wrap the mix in cling film and let it rest for at least 2 hours in the fridge. This mix is at its best after 6 hours of resting. All the flavours have had time to mingle together, creating an incredibly tasty mix that really takes this burgers to the next level.
Now let’s start working on the burgers. Make 2 thin patties per burger, of around 100 gr each. Place 1 piece of blue cheese between them and bind them together with your fingers, making a ball and then shaping it again to a nice, big patty of around 200gr with the cheese in the center. Using your thumb, push in the center of the patty. This will allow the burger to cook more evenly.
In a skillet at medium-high heat -in my stove I used a 7 out of 10- with some olive oil in it -just enough to cover the bottom of the pan, place the patties. Let them cook in one side for around 3 minutes. Also, add the onions at this point. Don’t add salt to the onions, otherwise they will release too much water, which will cause the burgers to boil in it.
Turn the patties to the other side and add the cheddar cheese on top of each of them. Cover with a lid. Once the cheese is nicely melted -some 4 to 5 minutes-, take the burgers out of the pan and let them rest on a rack or a wooden board for at least 3 to 4 minutes.
Once all the patties are cooked, toast the buns on the pan, letting the bread soak all the beautiful juices from the onions, cheese and meat. This takes any bread to a heavenly state.
Now, build your burger. I like placing a bit of mayonnaise on the bottom slice of bread, then the meat on top of it and after that the veggies and some more mayo, mustard and ketchup.
You will want to eat these burgers all the time. Look at it.
A good, cold lager or a red wine are the best combinations for this but, of course, you can enjoy them with a good ol’ cola too.
And, of course with the best fries!
Cook, practice, share. Enjoy! Slap the Slop! Salud!!
- Strawberry Gazpacho by SlapSlop
- Naturally Fermented Apple Cider Vinegar On All SlapSlop products!
- 10 Gazpacho tervist edendavat omadust
- Crunchy, Juicy, Luscious Baja-Style Fish Tacos by SlapSlop
- Crunchy, Creamy & Delicious Wild Boar & Punchabi Croquettes by SlapSlop
- SlapSlop in Buduaar!
- SlapSlop in the Estonian media. Sensa Magazine.
- Easy, Quick and Yummy Ramen with Fiery Kimchi
- The Amazing Health Benefits of Kimchi
- The Amazing Health Benefits of Kimchi
- The Benefits of Gazpacho on your Health
- The benefits of Gazpacho
- Grilled Chicken with SlapSlop Punchabi
- SlapSlop Punchabi Dal
- Spaghetti no.5 with SlapSlop TipTopTapenade