Soy and ginger chicken… Sounds good already, uh?
I wanted to share this super easy recipe with you because we do this a lot at home and it gives you a fantastic final product. A poached chicken so unbelievably tasty, juicy and soft you won’t believe it. We use this chicken for salads, sandwiches or we just nibble on it, because it is super healthy and just plain awesome.
Ingredients for a 1-chicken pot. But you can poach 1 or more chickens at once!
· 1 whole, clean chicken (about 2kg)
· Water, cold -enough to cover that beautiful bird
· Soy sauce, 250ml
· Star anise, 3
· Orange peel, 1/2 orange
· Smoke flavour concentrate or, even better, a good chunk of smokey bacon or, even better, of smoked eel
· Worcestershire sauce, 3 tbsp
· Fish sauce, 1 tbsp (not needed if you are using smoked eel)
· Bay leaves, 2
· Whole black peppercorns, 1 tbsp
· Ginger, 1 piece, about 50gr.
· Garlic cloves, 2
· Onion, half
Place the chicken (or chickens) in a cooking pot.
Add all the ingredients to the pot.
Crank up the heat to medium-high and bring it to a boil. Leave the pot uncovered.
As soon as it starts boiling, cover the pot, take it out of the fire and time 1 hour.
Ta-da!!! Magic has happened!!!
Take the chicken out of its bath of awesomeness and let it cool down for 10 minutes or until you can’t wait any longer and HAVE to start shovelling it in your face. You will see that you can not wait 10 minutes. 🙂
Enjoy on salads, sandwiches or with anything you like. It’s just fantastic!!
Let us know how it goes and how you combine it by leaving a comment and subscribing. And stay tuned for more recipes!